Current:Home > ScamsAlgosensey|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Summit Capital Strategies
Algosensey|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-05 22:23:34
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Algosenseyagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (67714)
Related
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Diablo and Santa Ana winds are to descend on California and raise wildfire risk
- Harris pressed on immigration, Biden in tense Fox News interview | The Excerpt
- TikTok let through disinformation in political ads despite its own ban, Global Witness finds
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Sean Diddy Combs' Baby Oil Was Allegedly Laced With Date Rape Drug
- Harry Styles mourns One Direction bandmate Liam Payne: 'My lovely friend'
- 'Ghosts' Season 4 brings new characters, holiday specials and big changes
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- 15-year-old Kansas football player’s death is blamed on heat
Ranking
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- The best Halloween movies for scaredy-cats: A complete guide
- Liam Payne's Heartfelt Letter to His 10-Year-Old Self Resurfaces After His Death
- CVS Health CEO Lynch steps down as national chain struggles to right its path
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Bachelor Nation’s Carly Waddell Engaged to Todd Allen Trassler
- 3 states renew their effort to reduce access to the abortion drug mifepristone
- Dodgers one win from World Series after another NLCS blowout vs. Mets: Highlights
Recommendation
Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
Why Billy Ray Cyrus' Ex Firerose Didn't Think She Would Survive Their Divorce
Diablo and Santa Ana winds are to descend on California and raise wildfire risk
'Ghosts' Season 4 brings new characters, holiday specials and big changes
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Oregon Elections Division shuts down phone lines after barrage of calls prompted by false claims
Cissy Houston mourned by Dionne Warwick, politicians and more at longtime church
Attorneys give opening statements in murder trial of Minnesota man accused of killing his girlfriend